Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Some pictures of the cross in situ. These are not such good photos, and I aim to get some better ones soon. The positioning of the strong lights in the church hall is good for the art work, but not for taking photographs. A high wall to one side cuts out the light from across the hall - frustrating! I aim to use a mobile light source for better pics, so watch this space...

Tuesday, 21 September 2010

This evening, new ragged cross was sited in the church hall of Selby Methodist Church. The cross was wrapped in bubble wrap and carried through the streets of Selby to the location. I would like to thank Nigel Currey for assisting me in this task. He played the role of minder very well, especially amidst the comments we drew.
The diagram above is by Martin Pascoe. I woould like to pay tribute to Martin, who worked brilliantly and efficiently in suspending the cross this evening. His clever planning, care and dexterity with the fixtures, fittings and wires, were truly impressive, and with only one set of long ladders!
Photos of the cross in situ will follow.

Sunday, 12 September 2010

Here are some photos showing this side of the cross completed. The moving of the cross to the church hall may be a tricky procedure, as it is more delicate than it looks. Fingers crossed the siting of the work goes well.

Thursday, 2 September 2010

The work is nearly complete! All that remains is to turn the cross over, and attach a number of flower- and leaf-shapes to the 'nature' side. After that....the hanging. Above are some photos showing details of the finished side.

Wednesday, 25 August 2010

Yesterday, I worked on the painting of the water flowing along the arms of the cross. I used acrylic paints from a range of Interference Colours. These colours can give a shimmering effect, especially when applied over 3-d surfaces, and when seen from different angles and in changing light.

Tuesday, 10 August 2010

As it was sunny and breezy today, I decided to spray-paint the cross outside. Ideally, I would have liked to have moved it to Cygnus Works for this process, but it is difficult to fit into a car. However, this meant setting up the table and moving the cross downstairs. Thanks to Linda for helping with this.
The photos below give more of an idea of how the finished article will appear. The gold-coloured surface, with its various textures, should catch the changing light during the day. Some of the objects have been positioned, prior to being glued into place. The close-up shows a 'cut' or interruption in the surface, revealing the 'innards', which are painted with red enamel. The red has been applied wherever the inside is revealed. The making of the piece is nearing completion...
It is holiday-time soon, so no further posts for a while.

Monday, 9 August 2010

This side has now been primed. Across the arms of the cross I intend to have a stretch of water. This has been tricky to model, but I am feeling better about it just now. My plan is to colour this with interference paints, which change their tone / colour when seen from different angles and in changing light.

Above: Some close-up shots showing details of the surface. At the right-hand end, is a section with broken mirror and CD bits. This section will be fixed into the open doorway, and should hopefully reflect light outwards. I may cut a 'window' into the doorway, in order to aid this.
The next stage is to colour both sides. Initially, this will be done with gold spray paints, but other colours will be applied by hand afterwards. The various elements will be attached after that process has been carried out.