Sunday 1 August 2010

First of all, respect to the writer of the hymn! I was trying to think of a title for the work, and with the word 'cross' in mind, I suppose I remembered this hymn. It's not a particular favorite of mine, but may be so for an older generation. For me, the title has romanticised ideas of the cross. I guess the contemporary associations of the word 'rugged' are different from those in the days when the hymn was written.
However, in making a cross that incorporated contemporary elements and references, I was keen to use the word 'new' in the title of the work. 'Ragged' describes edge and surface qualities within the work, but could be ironic when following 'new'; after all, if something is new, we don't expect it to be ragged. 'New' and 'ragged' in combination, suggest deliberate intentions within the work, one to do with the physical surface, the other to do with its contemporary meaning.
'new ragged cross' is also a convenient twist on the hymn title, and could link hymn and artwork together across time.

No comments:

Post a Comment